Wednesday, February 18, 2009

How to "Funfetti" Your Clothes OR How to Ruin a Load of Laundry

Recently, while pulling a SUPER-SIZE load of colored laundry out of the dryer, I noticed that EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF CLOTHING had small, red splotches all over it!!! WTF???!!! All my girls' good jeans, shirts, pajamas, undies... and FOUR out of my FIVE pairs of decent pants. I quickly checked the pockets of the girl's pants and found... NOTHING. I checked the inside of the dryer and could only find a few pink stripes. The worst part was, it was 10:30 on a Sunday night. I didn't have time to deal with this mess.

Monday morning, I asked the girls if they had been playing with lipstick and possibly left a piece of it in a pocket. Of course the answer was "NO". I told them what had happened to all the clothes. Maya told me she had put a red crayon in her pocket, then forgotten about it. ARGH! I am the Laundry Nazi! How could I have missed a CRAYON in my vigilant, pre-wash pocket search?

If this happens to you, don't despair! I found the cure for "funfetti" clothes on the web. God bless the internet! Hallelujah and Amen! Non-gel toothpaste will get out crayon AND lipstick from laundry. Granted, this takes a LOT of toothpaste and a LOT of time for a super-size load as mine was (I'm still not completely done with it all). You see, it requires scrubbing toothpaste (with a toothbrush) into each and every single splotch on each and every single piece of clothing, and then re-washing. The bright side is it works like a dream! We no longer have "funfetti" clothing, but I think I may have carpal tunnel syndrome from all the scrubbing.

Next time on "Laundry With Lyn" I'll explain how to turn all your white clothes into swiss cheese replicas by using too much chlorine bleach! I know you can't wait.

1 comment:

Kylee and Kevin Ostler said...

LOL ok this was hysterical! I totally feel for you and the mess you had to deal with when it happened but it's good you are able to laugh about it. Even better that you shared it with us:)